After a slew of complaints (24 of them!) from local residents complaining about the giant flashing X on top of Twitter HQ and a violation notice from the city, it was abruptly taken down. Residents complained about the "extremely intense white stroboscopic light," as the X logo was lit by frontal lights that flashed in strobing patterns, Which is not only dangerous to those with photosensitive epilepsy. The logo also happened to be across the road from a large apartment building and was visible through the windows. Additionally, aerial shots showed that the structure was held down by sandbags, raising safety concerns that the X might fall onto the passerby walking on the street below.
City inspectors notifying the company that the sign was in violation of safety codes—as Twitter lacked a permit for having a structure on the roof—asked to see the the sign for inspection and were turned down on two separate occasions. They were told that the it was a "temporary lighted sign for an event." By the third time, the sign was already being taken down.